Divorce is an ugly product of the fall and has a way of making you and me feel inadequate in almost every way possible. At the very least I believe satan uses divorce to keep you too busy to hear God’s word, and at worst accuse you and me of being unacceptable, unlovely, and unloved by God. Regardless of whether you or your ex husband instigated the divorce, you and I have a tendency to listen to the loudest voice that can get through to our busy minds. When we go through our days busily and blindly we hear satan’s voice most often. He is trying to drown out the still, small voice of the Lord who wants us to know who and whose we really are. I am here to call the out the father of lies and replace his voice with the truth of God’s word proving that Jesus is absolutely crazy about you! Check out these verses that prove His love for you. Put them on your refrigerator, bathroom mirror, in your purse. Remind yourself daily or hourly that His unfailing love is truly meant for you!
1. Psalm 103:13 “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.” We are his children! This means so many beautiful things: He has our picture on His refrigerator; He delights in our accomplishments and gets sad and picks us up when we skin our knees, and just like a loving parent, He has already laid down His life for ours!
2. Isaiah 54:10 “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” I love the contrast this verse shows. Shaken mountains and moved hills sound like life-altering disastrous events (i.e. divorce, loss of a child, loss of a parent, sin leading to tragedy, etc.). Our great God thinks enough of you and me to have compassion on us no matter what we do; His unfailing love will never go away like we have experienced with many people in our lives. Have close friends left you when you needed them most because they just couldn’t relate? Have other parents judged you as not caring for your children’s future because you couldn’t afford soccer camp? Have you endured the barrage of accusations from your ex’s lawyer explaining to the judge that you neglect your children? These are the tools of the enemy, not our great God! He knows your heart and will never leave you!
3. Matthew 9:36 “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” Jesus is traveling on foot for miles, yet He has enough left to feel compassion on these huge crowds coming to Him for healing. Do you feel harassed and helpless? Do you feel like a sheep without a shepherd? Alone, wandering through a dark field just waiting for wolves to attack (bill collectors, lawyers, IRS, even some family members, etc.). Jesus is your shepherd. He has compassion on you and wants to gather you to Him! Trust Him!
4. Matthew 9:22 “Jesus turned and saw her. ‘Take heart, daughter,’ he said, ‘your faith has healed you.’ And the woman was healed at that moment.” Jesus just healed a woman who had suffered from bleeding for twelve years. Do not miss the remarkable circumstances around this event. In that time women were considered unclean during their menstrual cycle and should not be around men, let alone touch them. This woman had a reputation as perpetually unclean so to be in public was a disgrace, and then to touch Jesus the Rabbi? Unthinkable. She approached Him anyway and endured the ridicule because she knew this was her one chance to be healed after all the failed attempts. The thick crowds around Jesus deterred many, but not her. She had to touch Him. When she finally reached Him, in His great mercy and love, He acknowledged her and called her daughter, and healed her! Keep pursuing Him as she did. He is even more accessible now that we can approach the throne of grace with confidence (Heb. 4:16)!
5. Romans 8:39 – “…neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” This is great news! Yes, it applies to you, too, even though it’s easy to believe you are exempt. I remember times feeling like His promises are for everyone but me, like I’ve gone too far for Him to love me anymore. I felt like I let down my Lord when I let down my kids. I felt like I used up all of Christ’s love for me. This verse was an anchor that grounded me and reminded me to believe Him when He tried to love on me. Ask Him for the faith to believe this verse!
6. John 15:16 – “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.” Jesus actually chose us to do His will. He appointed us to the position we are in at this moment, not some polished role we might aspire to someday. Right now in our everyday lives we are appointed to produce fruit. What does that look like for you? Praying over your sleeping children; pleading to the Lord on your knees for another hour or day of strength; forgiving your ex for the hurtful things he texted you today; forgiving yourself for serving cereal for dinner; sending your kids to school with a verse of encouragement; reaching out to other single moms in church and praying for each other by text or email. You decide, but don’t forget to see today’s activities as doing Jesus’ will and producing fruit, and remember that He loves you enough to choose you!
7. 1 Timothy 1:16 – “But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.” News flash – we are never going to be perfect. Jesus knows this, but He wants to use your imperfection as a reminder to both anchor yourself to Him and to fulfill His purpose for your life. He has a bigger plan than our small minds can see right now. Do you wonder why you are going through this horrible time? I do not believe that God ever purposefully creates these circumstances, but in His great wisdom allows us to go through what this fallen world throws at us. He wants us to run to Him for safety like our children do when they are afraid. He believes that we have what it takes to endure when we are anchored in Him, and to show compassion and mercy to others going through the same thing! I am living proof!
Are you convinced yet? Do you see how much He loves you as an individual, right where you are? He has proved His love over and over. We only need to read what He said, absorb it, eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and ask Him to help you understand it. In His amazing mercy He has compassion on you and knows what you are going through, and has a way through it. Trust Him and His purpose for your life. Believe that He is crazy about you!